The Presidential Museum and Library on Tumblr!
An old photograph of the historical marker the Philippine Historical Committee—precursor of today’s National Historical Institute—installed in 1941.
This was the former site of a summer residence purchased in 1802 from Luis Rocha by Colonel Miguel Jose Formento, whose testamentary executors sold it to the Spanish Government in 1825. By Royal Decrees of 1847, this property was set aside as the summer residence of the Governor-General. The Palace in Intramuros having been destroyed by the earthquake of June 3, 1853. The Governor General moved to this place, then known as the “Posesion de Malacañan.” This building was reconstructed, new lots were purchased, old grounds raised, regraded and parked during American and Filipino administrations. Extensive improvements were made in 1929-1932 under Governor General Dwight F. Davis and in 1935-1940 under President Manuel L. Quezon, the first Filipino Chief Executive to occupy this Palace. The Executive Building adjoining was completed in 1939.
The marker—now lost—relates, in a nutshell, the provenance of Malacañan Palace itself. Allow the official Tumblr of the Presidential Museum and Library the elaborations.